Saturday, August 30, 2008

41. Our Lady of Esperanza

Address: 624 W. 156th (West of Broadway)
Phone: 212.283.4340
Weekend Mass Times: Sat: 6pm (Spanish); Sun: 9am (Spanish), 10am (English), 11:30am (Spanish), 1pm (Spanish)
Weekday Mass Times (Spanish): M-F: 9am, 7pm; Sat: 9am
Confession: Sat: 5pm-6pm

About the Organ

Washington Heights Info

Museum Planet Tour

New York Landsmarks Conservancy

SATURDAY DAILY MASS

Spanish Mass again, and intinction again.

This church is awesome - small and beautiful. It's richly decorated and well taken care of. Elegant. And Holy.


Once again I wasn't really able to follow along with the readings, Gospel or homily, however when it came time for the Eucharist I knew what to do - and this time around there was very little hesitation or fear. But I admit, there was a little.

There are two beautiful portraits that flank the altar: the Virgin Mary holding the infant Jesus, and St. Joseph doing the same.

This church is just around the corner from St. Catherine of Genoa, a church I really enjoyed when I visited. There is something very nice about this part of Washington Heights - the streets are wide yet peaceful. There is a wonderful openness to the whole neighborhood that you don't find a lot of in Manahattan.

I am not sure if ever I did, but now I certainly do not, no longer belong in bars. There is nothing for me there any longer - when I enter them and sit down on the stools and order up some beers or cocktails or whatever, this is all just another form of my wanderings. And yet I keep going back. And once there my wandering mind becomes only capable of focusing on any passing girl. And all of this will only lead me down a road I do not wish to go down. Alcohol once consumed my passions, and now it is only consuming my wallet, as I throw away my money, basically into fire of obsession and waste.

I have begun regular spiritual advisement. And though I am only just beginning to learn what it is and what exactly it can do for me, I already realize it will be wholly beneficial to me as I strive for direction in this, my life, an up-to-now wandering clusterfuck of darkness, ignorance, wrecklessness and waste.

1 comment:

  1. Somebody told me there is a beatiful statue of Our Lady of Charity in this church. May you tell me the history or it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete