Sunday, May 11, 2008

26. Our Lady of the Rosary / Shrine of Elizabeth Ann Seton (Now St. Peter-Our Lady of the Rosary Parish)

NOTE: In 2015 this church merged with the Church of St. Peter and St. Joseph's Chapel as part of the Archdiocese of New York's great closings & mergers of 2015. All three churches will remain open for regular Masses and other events. This new combined parish is called St. Peter-Our Lady of the Rosary Parish.

(mass times & church info last updated 03/31/2016)
Address: 7 State Street
Phone: 212.269.6865
Weekend Mass Times: Sun: 11am (English)
Weekday Mass Times: 
Mon - Fri: 8:05am, 12:15pm (both English)
Confession:
Mon-Fri: 12pm-12:15pm
Links:
Official Website
About the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary
Great Pictures
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

I try to pray the rosary every day on the subway on my way to work. I must admit sometimes I'm too tired or become too distracted with other things playing on my mind or I'm a little hungover or I may strike up a conversation with someone who shares my commute. But on the days I've woken up with time enough for one or two cups of coffee, and I've plenty of time, and the Times or (worse) the AMNY hasn't sucked me into their front pages, I'm typically successful saying the Mystery of that day. I count the prayers and Hail Marys out on my fingers rather than pull out my rosary (which I actually do not carry with me - is this bad I wonder?) and say the prayers quietly to myself. I really enjoy Thursday - the Luminous Mysteries. A few years ago when I first heard about these "new" Mysteries, I was a little bit offended that the Church was altering something so ancient and traditional. I've come to realize their beauty and transcendence though - and each one of these - The Baptism at the Jordan, The Miracle at Cana, The Proclamation of the Gospel, The Transfiguration, and the Presentation of the Eucharist all illuminate my Thursday morning. Sometimes I find it difficult to get through the Sorrowful, not necessarily because it deals with the sadder Mysteries, but because each Mystery is so concentrated...
The Agony in the Garden is such a strong title of a Mystery. It is at once sad and beautiful. It is a paradox as it combines suffering with natural splendor. And it was such a time in the life of Christ. He prayed so as not to suffer his fate, the fate of humanity's weakness. That the cup should pass. He yearned for a different path, but this could not be. This Man endured duress both emotional and physical and in the end fatal - it could be no other way.

The Carrying of the Cross also strikes me. As Christians (and non-Christians) we say of day to day things, it is my cross to bear. But is it? A cross bearer - much like a ring bearer - carries a great responsibility, burden, weight, duty. But a cross bearer goes to their deaths. In the end, the cross ends in life's end. That is a cross to bear. It is no journey to relish. It is no light thing. It is an ultimate duty that brings one upon their bane.
This church - another chapel, I suppose - is simple and small, steeped in history and a really great place to go for Sunday 11am mass. There is a bunch of literature available at the church (or of course, online) for one to learn more of the devoted life Elizabeth Ann Seton lived and what all she did for social justice, as well as the history of the church.

You may want to go on the historic church walking tour suggested on the website that gives you an overview of the neighborhood and the many old and beautiful nearby churches.


"The Rosary has many times been proposed by my predecessors and myself as a prayer for peace...to rediscover the Rosary means to immerse oneself in contemplation of the mystery of Christ who 'is our peace'...one cannot recite the Rosary without feeling caught up in a clear commitment to advancing peace..."

- Pope John Paul II (Rosarium Virginis Mariae - On the Most Holy Rosary)

1 comment:

  1. Recent visit -
    summer 2012 No weekday Mass at 1:05 anymore.
    Church is open Saturdays Sundays all day like weekdays.
    Peter Meehan

    ReplyDelete